Promotes normal inflammatory response while also supporting joint, immune, gastrointestinal, and cardiovascular function
- Promotes immune system function
- Supports brain and joint health
- Promotes healthy liver, gall bladder and digestive function
- Free radical scavenging properties
- Supports cardiovascular function
- Black pepper included for enhanced absorption
Curcumin, a polyphenol nutrient found in the spice turmeric (Curcuma longa), has beneficial effects for nearly every organ system in the body. Used for its medicinal effects for centuries and extensively studied, Curcumin has been shown to help maintain the bodys normal inflammatory response while also supporting joint, liver, gastrointestinal, and cardiovascular function. To enhance the normally poor bioavailability of curcumin, our potent formula also contains black pepper extract that promotes rapid absorption of nutrients from the gastrointestinal tract.
Turmeric (Curcuma longa)
Patient One Turmeric Curcumin combines the benefits of both whole Turmeric root and Turmeric extract (standardized to 95% curcuminoids), along with black pepper extract for enhanced absorption.
Curcumin is the orange pigment in turmeric (the primary ingredient in curry) and has been studied for its effective therapeutic outcomes acting as an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, anticoagulant, immuno-modulatory activities and even in wound healing. Research suggests support for joint, eye, GI tract, liver, prostate and nerve health.
Curcumin supports production of B and T cells which is useful for promoting proper immune function. It also supports production of bile and enzymes that digest sugars and fats. This helps to maintain cholesterol levels within normal range. Turmeric supports intestinal flora and the mucus membranes of the body, including those of the digestive tract. As such, it may be beneficial after a course of antibiotics and for those with unbalanced intestinal flora. It also helps protect the stomach against excess acid and is used for its soothing effect on the mucosa of the gut.
Black Pepper Extract (as BioPerine®)
It has been found that the therapeutic effectiveness of curcumin is often limited due to its poor absorption from the GI tract. When taken orally only traces appear in the blood, whereas most of the dose is excreted though the feces. Our formula includes BioPerine®, a patented extract derived from the common black pepper fruit that contains the alkaloid piperine. Black pepper has been shown to enhance the bioavailability and promote absorption of curcumin both in pre-clinical studies and in studies on human volunteers.
- Several studies have illustrated curcumins hepatoprotective effects, leading researchers to suggest its use in protecting the liver from exogenous insults from environmental toxins.
- Shoba G, Joy D, Joseph T, et al. Influence of piperine on the pharmacokinetics of curcumin in animals and human volunteers. Planta Med 1998 May;64(4):353-56. [PMID: 9619120]
- Jagetia GC, Aggarwal BB. "Spicing up" of the immune system by curcumin. J Clin Immunol. 2007 Jan;27(1):19-35. [PMID: 17211725]
- Funk JL, Oyarzo JN, Frye JB, et al. Turmeric extracts containing curcuminoids prevent experimental rheumatoid arthritis. J Nat Prod. 2006 Mar;69(3):351-55. [PMID: 16562833]
- Jurenka JS. Anti-inflammatory properties of curcumin, a major constituent of Curcuma longa: a review of preclinical and clinical research. Altern Med Rev. 2009 Jun;14(2):141-53. [PMID: 19594223]
- Ng T, et al. Am J Epidemiol. 2006;164:898-90